DE: (302) 478-2900
PA: (267) 908-5060

Removing Conditional Status While Divorce is not Finalized

Conditional resident aliens are required to file a Form I-751 within 90 days before the second anniversary of the date on which the alien obtained permanent resident. If the marriage is terminated by divorce, the resident alien can file a waiver of the joint petition requirement. However, if the divorce is filed but not finalized before filing of I-751, the conditional resident is not allowed to apply for the waiver based on good faith marriage. In this case, the conditional resident can still file a joint I-751 if the spouse is willing to cooperate. Otherwise, the conditional resident has to file a waiver under other grounds and then amend the application or file under a waiver once the divorce is final. Other grounds for waiver include (1) The marriage was entered into in good faith, but the conditional resident has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by the citizen spouse; or (2) Termination of permanent residency and deportation would result in extreme hardship.

Huang Law LLC serves clients nationwide on immigration related matters.

The information you obtain at this site is not be construed nor is it intended to be legal advise. We invite you to contact us by phone and electronic mails. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.